Friday 16 October 2009

Endgame




Booked to see Endgame by Samuel Beckett in London in November..on my birthday


Charles Spencer writes in the daily Telegraph:

Endgame is the masterpiece that sorts out the men from the boys when it comes to admirers of the bleak dramatic world of Samuel Beckett.

In Endgame (1957), however, Beckett mercilessly excludes every possibility of the positive. The world outside is described as a zero, and while Beckett was doubtless considering the possibility of nuclear annihilation, his evocation of an arid planet now also reminds us of the possibility of a world laid waste by global warming. Inside the grim penumbral room where the play takes place, cruelty prevails.
I like to take in a cheerful show on such an occasion as my birthday. I'm a hard core Beckett fan so I can take it and the actor Mark Rylance who plays Hamm (pictured in the dark glasses) is in my view our greatest living actor.

No comments:

Post a Comment