Monday 8 March 2010

Conceptions of Childhood


I've been debating blogging about the two children who tragically killed a smaller boy in Liverpool, one of whom is in the news at the moment. I considered posting the two 'mug-shot' images of the boys on this blog which I saw again on the television. However, when I did, I recognised that it would be completely unethical to post them on this blog.
They are shocking images that are a stark reflection of British society's conception of childhood at the end of the 20th and beginning of the 21st Century. In the images they are clearly two young children being treated as if they are adult criminals being prepared for prison and the criminal justice system - thought of and represented as being equally culpable and responsible as any other adults going through that system.

No comments:

Post a Comment