Friday 15 October 2010

Mina


I'm reading David Almond's new book. Mina, the main character, is 'home-schooled' because of an incident at her school over a SATs test. There is a disturbing section in the book that describes this incident. Although there is plenty of humour in this section, it is also depicts the tragedy of the demise of a great profession.
From the opening, the prominent theme of the book is clear: the disjunction between childhood imagination and the crushing nature of modern education, with its prescription and reductionist approach to learning and assessment.
Here is a passage:
'When I was at school - at St Bede's Middle - I was told by my teacher Mrs Scullery that I should not write anything until I had planned what I would write. What nonsense!
Do I plan a sentence before I speak it?
OF COURSE I DO NOT!
Does a bird plan its song before it sings?
OF COURSE IT DOES NOT!
It opens its beak and it
SINGS SO I WILL SING!
Almond speaks through Mina's writing in her journal. It's an interesting book for children which, amongst other things, reveals Almond's beliefs about childhood, the imagination and education.

No comments:

Post a Comment